Preparing For a Big Move
There are many details to handle as your prepare to move to a new area. Whether it is to a new city, across the state or across the country, creating a list ahead of time will greatly reduce the stress that comes with the big move. This checklist will help you get started and manage the process. We are always a phone call or email away if you have any questions. We will be happy to help!
- Order a moving van, hire a moving company, or buy a trailer. If you are going to hire someone, make sure you have a firm bid in writing. Compare the cost of buying a utility trailer yourself! You may find that it won't cost much more and that you'd make use of it later on.
- Plan which route to take. If you will be driving, you may want to avoid big cities at rush hour. Are there certain sites you want to see? Consider how much driving is realistic given your load and circumstances (do you have young children or pets?).
- Keep it or sell it? Carefully consider the items you 'must' keep. There are many selling platforms such as Craigslist, local Facebook Buy, Sell, Trade groups, garage sales and eBay. Join local Facebook groups for purchasing items in your new location before you arrive!
- Call utility companies. This may include electric, gas, water, waste management, telephone and cable, security systems and more. Cancel current services and sign up for services in your new home.
- Notify your credit card company. If you will be placing purchases on a credit card, notify the company that you will be traveling so they do not place a hold on your account because of suspicious activity.
- Obtain referrals. Think doctors, dentists, banks, financial advisors, daycares and other specialists.
- Collect medical records. Family members and even pets may need these. Carry these with you.
- Prescriptions. Have any necessary prescriptions filled and carry them with you.
- Make pet arrangements. Your pets may need travel containers, immunization records, a temporary home and so on.
- Transfer checking and savings accounts. Empty safe-deposit boxes and carry the contents with you. Order new check books with your new accounts and new address before arriving.
- Do you have school-age children? Enroll in the new school district and take care of necessary school preparations so they don't miss too much time.
- Dispose of flammables and other hazardous materials.
- Moisten plants before packing. That is, if you just can't leaf them behind (we couldn't help ourselves).
- Back up your computer files. Accidents happen, and it would be a terrible loss if a computer was damaged in the move. Be safe and back up your documents and photos on the Cloud or external hard drives.
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers and other equipment. Also drain any water hoses.
- Have the car serviced. Before your trip, change the oil, get a general tuneup and check that proof of insurance is in the car.
- Pack a "first night" box. Don't forget the coffee! Other items may include bedding, household cleaners, toothpaste and toothbrush, snacks, pet food and other essentials that you expect to need upon arrival.
- Conduct a last-minute walk-through. Check drawers, closets, the basement and the garage.
- Change mailing addresses. Set up a forwarding address at the local post office and change your mailing address associated with any accounts you have.
- Make sure everything is turned off and locked up.
We hope this helps you organize your move to ensure you have everything you need.
Please don't hesitate to call or email us if you have any questions or would like additional information.